Monday, January 22, 2007

Getting into the groove

Today's status: January has been an interesting and challenging month for me. Other than the obvious blizzard issues (we've been getting hammered here in the Denver area since before Christmas), I had surgery on my right hand on January 3rd. This made typing more than a little challenging. Writing, too. So now, things are beginning to calm down, the sun is shining, and I'm now, FINALLY, organizing myself for the new year.

One of my New Year's goals is to blog at least once a week, just to keep myself updated on what is going on around me as well as inside me. I enjoy Kristin Nelson's blog a great deal (more on that later), so I'm going to use some of her features.

What's playing on Launchcast: "This Never Happened Before" by Paul McCartney (from The Lake House)

I love reading publishing blogs .... authors, agents, other industry professionals. I find it interesting, exciting, and VERY educational.

Kristin Nelson of the Denver-based Nelson Agency is one of my favorites. She's direct, honest, and encourages aspiring writers. Her agency web site gives a TON of information on making queries, expectations, and what specifically her office is looking for. I attended a query writing program given by a writers group in Parker last fall that she offered. It was exemplary and made me seriously consider the value of having an agent rather than going it alone.

All that said ... The Nelson Agency has just (in the last few minutes) sent out their first newsletter. It's quite wonderful and gives lots of insight into what agents are looking for, the excitement of sales, and more reminders of guidelines. Kristin's assistant, Sara, wrote a little bit about what she's reading. I loved the name of her column, "On Sara's Nightstand." *LOL* Anyway .... now that I've blathered on, what did I FIND on Sara's nightstand? The following, "Let's see—of all that, what breakouts have I read this month?
Transformation by Carol Berg was such a winner! I felt like it had a real, tangible, powerful, intense, new fantasy world. I loved it!!!" That's OUR Carol Berg, the RMFW Writer of the Year for 2006! Whoo-hoo!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this great newsletter (
Link) and encourage others to join Kristin's mailing list and, while you're at it, take a gander at her very informative blog (Blog Link).

Writing wise, I have the third chapter of my free online story almost finished, and I'm organizing the three unfinished novels and prioritizing them to get one completed and ready to pitch by April's RTCon (I hope). We'll see.




No comments: