Wednesday, October 04, 2006

He made it!

My son passed his Eagle Board of Review last night and officially became an Eagle Scout. We are so excited and so proud of him, and it's been a long, challenging road.

For those not in the know, Eagle Scout is the highest achievement a Boy Scout can reach. 1-2% of all
Boy Scouts make it. He must do all the requirements and plan & carry out an approved Eagle Project before his 18th birthday. The project is a test of leadership and organization and must include other people, it can't just be him and his family. He has to have earned a minimum of 21 merit badges (12 specific ones), received letters of recommendation from a few adults, a teacher, his parents, and his church minister (or write a statement of faith himself), he has to have served as a troop officer, and passed all the previous rankings before Eagle. This is not something you do over the weekend. It takes years of dedication and the project alone takes months to achieve with planning and paperwork. Then comes the board of review, the final step, where he is questioned & interviewed by a committee of adult scouters (in this case, four, plus the Scoutmaster watched but is not allowed to participate).

He came through with flying colors and everyone was congratulating him and us immediately afterward. I couldn't be more proud, and I know his father (who is also an Eagle Scout) is so excited he's almost dancing. We will be celebrating with an Eagle Court of Honor over Thanksgiving when some of my family is coming up from Texas and my father will be here from overseas.

It's a wonderful thing to see our children achieve something so challenging right as they enter adulthood. I just keep saying the same thing over and over again ... I am so proud of him!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw your profile name on the comment of... hmm, I don't remember where I was and had to click... I recently made a new blog and named it writing aspirations! Hehehe, I didn't even think to do a search and see if there were blogs with similar names. I just wanted to give a shout out and say hello from one aspiring writer to another!