Monday, October 23, 2006

On being a juggler

Lately I've been playing the juggling game. Most women, and particularly moms, know what I'm talking about, that game where you are doing more things at one time than you have hands (or even limbs) to accomplish well.

For me, I'm in rehearsal for a children's show (very fun, but potentially stressful and very time-consuming), I teach privately four afternoons a week, DH is systematically painting the inside of the house (which requires at least my frequent attention if not my all out assistance), the usual home chores like dinner and upkeep, plus I'm trying to prepare for my son's Eagle Court of Honor and a house full of guests over Thanksgiving, get a jump on (no I WON'T say it) that time of year when we buy gifts, as well as finish a short story for a contest and do preliminary work for this year's NaNoWriMo challenge in November. All this while exercising 6 days a week (3 swim days, 3 yoga days) to get my weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar down.

Whew. Are you tired? I am! And totally overwhelmed. ACK! I feel like one of those patients in "Awakenings" where I'm going so fast that I actually seize up!

So what happens? I make a lovely routine/to do list that is almost impossible to accomplish in one day. Stare at it. Pour a cup of coffee to enjoy while I ponder revising the list then read all my email, group lists, and favorite blogs. I'm not writing. I'm not cleaning. I'm not memorizing my lines.

The thing is, I love doing all these things! I love writing, I love reading blogs, I love helping paint in the house, I love rehearsing and teaching. But I hit certain times of the year and I find all things collide into this cornucopia of activities that are difficult to keep up with. Hmmm, perhaps that's why Thanksgiving is traditionally portrayed with a horn of plenty?

So, I'm going to slow down. Dump half of my to-do list. Turn off my email alarm. Restrict my email groups to daily digests and prioritize. Then I'm going to enjoy the heck out of everything I do and anything that doesn't get done that day can take a higher priority the next.

That should work ... uh ... right? :-)

2 comments:

Sean Carter said...

Well that is truly amazing on how you manage all the things at the same time. I really have to say great job!!! Well to add more color to your Thanksgiving celebrations you can check out this
Thanksgiving Blog for many amazing ideas and useful resources. Visit it and have lots of fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Good job and well done. Hang in there.

I remember, when I finished my first book I was also in the midst of the juggling game. I was building a house nights and weekends, working full-time (and commuting 3+ hours a day), and also starting my own company. Not to mention trying to have some sort of family life with my two kids and wife. I nearly had a nervous breakdown. (Now I have a much better outlook on things due to an improved relationship with God. I used to write to validate my existance (ugh, what a misguided dork). Now I write because it's fun and I think God likes it.)

Enjoy the juggling. :-)