Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Writers' groups

I have recently joined the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers (RMFW). What a terrific organization! It is comprised of both published authors and unpublished authors with a friendly, helpful atmosphere and a depth of great experience and knowledge to share.

Last Saturday New York Times Best-Selling author Joan Johnston gave a program on "Writing the Unputdownable Novel" that was interesting and exciting. I learned a lot, and I am extremely grateful to Joan and her generosity to fellow writers in both sharing her professional style and her great sense of humor in her presentation. Joan writes primarily contemporary western romance, a genre I've never been drawn to until I heard her this weekend. Wow, I'm now chomping at the bit to jump into some of her works. And that is the main reason any aspiring author should join into a local writers' group, exposure to authors of different genres and the opportunity to learn from masters of their craft.


On their web site, the RMFW states they offer four things essential to writers ..

  • Support for each member, published or unpublished.
  • Education through critique groups, workshops, programs, & the annual Colorado Gold Writing Contest.
  • Access to agents and editors from major publishing houses via our annual Colorado Gold Conference. Recognized as one of the best in the country!
  • Monthly news & articles through the Rocky Mountain Writer. The official newsletter of RMFW.

This is a lot of support and information for the $45/year dues. Joan's program this weekend was worth more than that. I must thank Jeanne C. Stein (a terrific local author whom I met at the Romantic Times Convention this spring) for pointing me toward this great group and for being my friend.

SHAMELESS PLUGS ...

Jeanne has a book coming out at the end of November. The Becoming, a paranormal about Anna Strong, a bounty hunter, who discovers strength she didn't know she had in a strange twist of fate. It's quite wonderful. Don't miss it!

Joan Johnston's newest releases include The Next Mrs. Blackthorne, Hawk's Way Brides, and Texas Brides.

2 comments:

Betsy Dornbusch said...

Hiya,
I'm a member of RMFW. You've joined a great org--lots of great people. I was there Saturday. Too bad I didn't meet ya. Maybe next time. Thanks for doing the newsletter--we really needed someone!

Good luck with all your projects. I'm a mom, too, write nearly full-time, and edit an ezine. I've got two log-ins, one for my Zine blog and one for my personal: http://sexscenesatstarbucks.blogspot.com so you might see me logged in as either.

Welcome.

Betsy Dornbusch

Vicki said...

I was sitting towards the back next to Jeanne Stein (she saved a place for me because I had promos for a show I'm in at B&N and Bemis Library and got there a little late). It was a wonderful program, I really enjoyed Joan a lot and got a great deal from what she had to say.

*LOL @ sexscenesatstarbucks.blogspot* What a great name! I look forward to meeting you!